Hi Everyone –
I’d like to introduce you to my newest endeavor. I’ve been working with 2 friends here to start this organization and bring together 3 different but similar ideas (we were each thinking independently about our own idea – and came together to make it ALL happen!). I recently posted this in our local online discussion board and thought I’d share it with you guys!
To educate and empower the local community by introducing eco-friendly alternatives to plastics in our daily lives and working together to clean up beaches and seabeds.
1. Eliminate the Use of Straws in restaurants and homes through intensive campaigns and sales of re-usable straws. (Miriam’s passion)
2. Eliminate single-use plastic bags by making and selling re-usable shopping bags. (My idea)
3. Clean up the beaches and sea beds by organizing on-going community volunteer events. (Joao’s forte – he runs a local dive shop and has a panga)
We hope to become self-sustaining through the sale of sea-glass bracelets, locally made with reclaimed materials, and the sale of re-usable shopping bags in various locations around town. We will also need to rely on donations, sponsorship and volunteerism in our community.
Joao, Jennifer and Miriam
PLEASE HELP US! We are trying to raise funds to cover the expenses of our first event on Sept 24 – We need 4,400 pesos (around $250 USD) ! Click Here to Donate Any amount helps!
SEPTEMBER 24, 9:00AM on the pier – OUR FIRST EVENT!
We still have space on the dive boat – there will be an underwater clean up for certified divers, and a beach clean up for those who aren’t. Please message me if you are interested in participating. We will also have bags and t-shirts for sale there.
ALSO Zihro Plastic needs START-UP funds for:
• Printing of information and placards for restaurants (awaiting quotes)
• Printing and distributing information about our organization
• Buying materials to make re-usable bags
• Buying tools and equipment for bracelet production